At Travis Tober’s new honky-tonk in Lockhart, Topo Chico is such a part of the ambiance, the logo is on the sign. This riff on a Salty Dog is made with Key lime and Rio Star grapefruit (a beloved red Texas variety with “sweeter, richer” juice than Ruby Red or Rio Red, says Tober) squeezed à la minute to capture the essential oils of the citrus. The fruit-forward, subtly smoky notes of the Sombra Mezcal work with the juice and forceful fizz to make a “super crushable cocktail.”
- 1 3/4 ounces mezcal, preferably Sombra
- Juice of one Key lime
- Juice of half a Rio Star or other red grapefruit, like Star Ruby
- 1 bottle ice-cold Topo Chico, half of contents poured into another container
Garnish: salt for rim of bottle
- Salt rim of Topo Chico bottle.
- Shake mezcal with citrus juices and strain into Topo Chico bottle.
- Top with reserved Topo Chico.