While working at Zombie Village, where he created this drink, Sam Miller notes that he gained an appreciation for “the amazing ability to blend flavors through a swizzle.” Here, he takes the Queen’s Park Swizzle as a jumping-off point, but gives it “a tropical vibe” simply by swapping traditional simple syrup with a spiced passionfruit syrup. “It’s a pretty simple switch, but it gave the drink a whole new depth.”
- 1 ounce Jamaican rum, preferably Rum Bar Gold
- 1 ounce Barbados rum, preferably Real McCoy 3 Year
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
- 1/3 ounce passion fruit syrup (see Editor's Note)
- 1/3 ounce cinnamon syrup (see Editor's Note)
- 8 mint leaves
- 1 spash sparkling water
Garnish: Angostura bitters, mint
- Combine all ingredients in a zombie glass, add crushed ice, and swizzle.
- Garnish with a heavy float of Angostura bitters and a mint bouquet.
Passion Fruit Syrup
1 cup water
1 cup passion fruit purée
3 cups white sugar
Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over low heat and stir until fully incorporated. Let cool, then fine strain into a bottle.
3 3/4 grams Cassia cinnamon sticks, lightly toasted and broken up
3/4 gram Ceylon cinnamon sticks, lightly toasted and broken up
2 cups water
1 quart sugar
In a saucepan, bring the water to a boil, add the cinnamon sticks and sugar and stir until dissolved. Let cool, then strain into a bottle.