In this riff on the Saturn, Demi Natoli once again draws on the flavors of her family’s dinner table to upend expectations. “Mangoes are a staple in the Cuban household,” says Natoli, “it’s a snack, it’s usually part of your dinner,” she says of one of the more prominent flavors in the drink, which she substitutes in place of passion fruit. “And then there’s also garlic—there’s not any kind of dish that doesn’t have garlic in it,” says Natoli, who incorporates roasted garlic into a house-made falernum for a subtle savory twist. “It’s still like something that’s familiar to the guests, but it’s not something that they’ve necessarily had before,” she says.
Demi Natoli, The Patterson House | Nashville, TN
- 1 1/2 ounce navy strength gin, preferably Hayman's Royal Dock
- 3/4 ounce mango puree, preferably Perfect Puree
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
- 1/4 ounce garlic falernum (see Editor's Note)
- 1/4 ounce Petite Canne syrup
- 1 barspoon allspice dram, preferably St. Elizabeth
Garnish: mint, edible orchid
- Combine all ingredients in Collins glass or tiki mug and fill with crushed ice.
- Swizzle the ingredients until the drink is properly chilled.
- Garnish with mint and an edible orchid.
1/3 cup garlic
1 ounce ginger
1 ounce slivered almonds
6 ounces overproof rum, preferably Wray & Nephew
6 ounce simple syrup
Combine all the ingredients apart from the simple syrup. Let sit for 24 hours. Strain the solids out then add the simple syrup and stir to incorporate before bottling.