This Spanish-style G&T features a Spanish gin, with garnishes frozen into a large ice cube. Bar director Sarah Morrissey blanches the rosemary “so it stays really green,” and freezes half of it in the ice cube, while the leafy top stays above the ice so it bobs attractively over the top of the drink.
Sarah Morrissey’s Gin & Tonic
Sarah Morrissey, Ernesto’s | New York City
- 2 ounces gin, preferably Xoriguer Gin de Mahon
- 5 ounces Fever-Tree Premium Indian Tonic
- Lime wedge
Garnish: ice cube with embedded rosemary, juniper berries and lime twist (see Editor’s Note); grapefruit half-moon, lime wheel
- Combine gin and tonic in a goblet over the garnish ice cube.
- Squeeze lime wedge, and drop spent wedge into drink.
- Garnish with grapefruit half-moon and lime wheel.
To make the garnish ice cube: Blanch the rosemary in hot water for 25 seconds, then transfer to an ice bath until chilled. Drop the lime peels and juniper berries into a large silicone mold. Add rosemary, positioning it so some of the leaves are above the mold. Fill with water and freeze. Allow the cubes to temper before popping them out of the mold.