By now, we’ve seen that the Espresso Martini shows no signs of stopping. Washington, D.C.’s Service Bar dialed in its own take on the drink, the SB Espresso Martini, which calls on fresh espresso as well as local coffee liqueur from Don Ciccio & Figli, plus housemade dark chocolate–washed vodka and coconut syrup.
SB Espresso Martini
Carlos Paiva | Washington, D.C.
- 1 1/2 ounces double-brewed dark roast espresso ground coffee
- 3/4 ounce coconut syrup (see Editor’s Note)
- 3/4 ounce chocolate vodka (see Editor’s Note)
- 3/4 ounce vodka
- 1/2 ounce coffee liqueur, preferably Don Ciccio & Figli Concerto
Garnish: Coconut Syrup
Bring 540 grams of shredded coconut and 3 quarts water to a boil. Blend, then strain, and add 2400 grams of sugar. Refrigerate overnight, remove the fat cap (reserve it to make the chocolate vodka), then bottle.
Combine the room-temperature fat cap (approximately 200 grams) from the coconut syrup with 100 grams of 99 percent dark chocolate until the chocolate melts completely. Stir in 750 milliliters of vodka. Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour. Refrigerate overnight, then strain through cheesecloth the next day and bottle.
- Add all ingredients to a shaker and shake with ice.
- Strain into a coupe.