Think of this as a quick and easy mulled wine, but a bit more spirited with the addition of single malt Scotch. The Speyside 12-Year—with sweet flavors of honey and vanilla—is paired with a rich, homemade red wine syrup and allspice dram, which adds an additional layer of warming notes. Hughes describes the end result of this wintertime warmer as “a Hot Toddy that fell into some mulled wine, then got up and took a shot of Scotch.”
Jordan Hughes, High-Proof Preacher | Portland, Oregon
- 1 ½ ounces Glen Moray Speyside 12-Year-Old Single Malt Scotch Whisky (Elgin Heritage)
- 1 ounce fresh lemon juice
- ¾ ounce Red Wine Syrup (see Editor’s Note)
- 1 teaspoon allspice dram
- Hot water
Garnish: orange zest, whole cloves
- Prepare a mug or heat-proof glass by tempering with hot water. (Let hot water sit for 1 minute, then discard.)
- Using two shaker tins, fill one halfway with hot water, and place the other in the first tin so the bottom is resting against the hot water.
- Add the Scotch, lemon juice, Red Wine Syrup and allspice dram and stir for approximately 1 minute.
- Pour the hot mixture into the prepared mug or heat-proof glass.
- Garnish with a thick orange zest studded with whole cloves.
Red Wine Syrup
Combine equal parts red wine and sugar in a saucepan and heat on low, stirring to combine. Cool, and store in a sealed container for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.