In this low-proof punch, Caitlin Laman hews closely to the traditional five-ingredient punch formula, but trades the spirit for a mix of manzanilla sherry and red vermouth for a slightly spiced recipe that’s festively topped with a splash of Cava.
- 1 1/2 ounces manzanilla sherry, preferably La Guita
- 3/4 ounce sweet vermouth
- 1 1/2 ounces Hibiscus-Lemongrass Tea (see Editor's Note)
- 1/2 ounce lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup
- Cava, to top
Garnish: lemon grass and lemon wheel.
- Shake all ingredients with ice.
- Strain into a Collins glass.
- Add ice and top with Cava and garnish with lemon grass and a lemon wheel.
Large Batch Variation:
2 1/2 cups manzanilla sherry
1 1/4 cups sweet vermouth
2 1/2 cups hibiscus-lemongrass tea
3 ounces lemon juice
1 2/3 cups white sugar
Cava, to top (approximately 2/3 of a bottle)
Steep two handfuls of dried hibiscus flowers with 6 bags of lemongrass tea in one quart of water for 30 minutes. Strain.