Coming in on top in our blind Paloma tasting was this version by Shannon Tebay of Death & Co. New York. Her 2-ounce pour of El Tesoro Blanco tequila was supplemented by 1 1/2 ounces of pink grapefruit juice, 3/4 ounce of lime juice and 1/2 ounce simple syrup, all shaken together, then joined by 2 ounces of Topo Chico sparkling water, poured into the bottom of the glass before being topped with the shaken mixture. The full salt rim pleased the judges, who called the drink well-rounded and plump.
- 2 ounces tequila, preferably El Tesoro
- 1 1/2 ounces pink grapefruit juice
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup
- 2 ounces Topo Chico
Garnish: salt rim, lime wedge
- Salt the rim of the Collins glass, then add the Topo Chico and set aside.
- Combine all the remaining ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice and shake until chilled.
- Strain into the Collins glass, add ice, and garnish with a lime wedge.