“The aim of this cobbler is using cocoa nib-infused triple sec to achieve a happy marriage of bitter orange and chocolate without being cloyingly sweet,” explains Fu. “The rest is simple yet delicious: turbinado syrup, lime, pineapple, 5-Island Banks white rum and a dusting of coffee grounds on top.”
Karen Fu, Studio | New York
- 2 ounces rooibos tea-infused rum, preferably Banks 5-Island (see Editor's Note)
- 1/2 ounce spiced rum, preferably Oakheart
- 1/2 ounce cocoa nib-infused triple sec, preferably Giffard (see Editor's Note)
- 3/4 ounce rich demerara syrup (2:1, demerara sugar: water)
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
- 1/2 ounce pineapple juice
Garnish: orange half wheel, ground coffee
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with a few ice cubes.
- Strain into a cobbler or Collins glass over crushed ice.
- Top with more crushed ice.
- Garnish with an orange half-wheel and a light dusting of finely ground coffee.
Cacoa Nib-Infused Triple Sec:
38 grams cocoa nibs
1 750ml bottle triple sec, preferably Giffard
In a small pan, lightly toast the cocoa nibs until fragrant, being careful not to burn them. Add the triple sec and let cool. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours. Strain out the nibs, then place into a sealed container and refrigerate.
Rooibos Tea-Infused Rum:
7.2 grams of rooibos tea, preferably Red Rooibos South African Bush Tea
1 750ml bottle white rum, preferably Banks 5-Island
Add the tea to the rum. Cover, swirl to help infuse, and let sit for 15 minutes. Strain and rebottle.