London import Hawksmoor’s first New York City location opened last fall with a Sour Cherry Negroni on the menu, which has since become one of the top sellers. The riff on the classic aperitif uses acid-adjusted sour cherry juice and rosé vermouth to put a contemporary spin on the familiar template. “Our approach is simplicity and flavor without inundating guests with obscure ingredients or long-winded descriptions,” says Ciarrai Kelly, Hawksmoor’s head bartender.
- 1 ounce gin, preferably Fords
- 3/4 ounce Campari
- 3/4 ounce Martini & Rossi Riserva Speciale Rubino
- 1/2 ounce Crème de Noyaux, preferably Tempus Fugit
- 1 teaspoon acid adjusted cherry juice (see Editor's Note)
- 1 dash saline solution (10:1, water:salt)
Garnish: brandied cherry
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass with ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a rocks glass over a large ice cube.
- Garnish with a brandied cherry.
Acid Adjusted Cherry Juice
15 grams malic acid
30 grams citric acid
700 grams organic cherry juice
In a container, combine all ingredients and stir until the acid powder dissolves. Store in the refrigerator for up to one week.