This deceivingly simple ingredient acts as both a sweetener and an egg white replacement in Mike Capoferri’s Savannah Sour. When dissolved in water, methylcellulose has a foaming quality that mimics egg white without any lingering scent or flavor.
- 3 grams Methocel F50
- 100 grams boiling hot water
- 200 grams cold water
- 300 grams granulated sugar
- Combine methylcellulose and hot water, stirring until solids are fully disolved.
- Separately, pour cold water into a high-power blender set to the lowest speed.
- Slowly add the hot water and methylcellulose mix into the blender and blend for 4 minutes.
- Place pitcher in freezer until foam dissipates, approximately 10 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and whisk in sugar.
- Allow to settle, then whisk again to incorporate any remaining sugar crystals.
- Bottle and store.