Houston’s Michael Neff created this playful riff on a low-waste stock that also happens to taste like Sprite. At The Cottonmouth Club, Neff uses the Sprite syrup in a rye whiskey-based Long Lost Pal cocktail alongside dry vermouth and Bruto Americano. “Use this concentrate as you would simple syrup for a zesty, bright and citrusy addition to cocktails,” he says. “Or, to make ‘Sprite,’ combine one part concentrate with two parts Topo Chico and enjoy over ice or in a highball.”
Michael Neff, Cottonmouth Club | Houston
- 2 cups halved and juiced lime husks
- 2 cups halved and juiced lemon husks
- 2 quarts water
- 3 cups piloncillo (unrefined cane sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon orange blossom water
- 3 ounces lemon juice
- 2 ounces lime juice
- Combine husks and piloncillo in an 8-quart Instant Pot or pressure cooker.
- Add about 2 quarts of water to cover completely and cook under high pressure for 5 minutes.
- Quick-release pressure, allow to cool and strain out solids.
- Add the lemon juice, lime juice and orange blossom water.