The winning cocktail in our recent blind Hemingway Daiquiri tasting came, somewhat unexpectedly, from Fort Defiance in Brooklyn, not a bar known for the drink. Perhaps a key to owner St. John Frizell’s victory was his habit of including a small piece of grapefruit peel in the mixing tin when shaking, the so-called “regal shake.” The judges found the drink tart, bright and light-bodied, with just a hint of vanilla lurking in the background.
St. John Frizell’s Hemingway Daiquiri
St. John Frizell, Fort Defiance | Brooklyn, NY
- 2 ounces white rum, preferably Denizen Aged White Rum
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
- 1/2 ounce grapefruit juice
- 1/4 ounce maraschino liqueur, preferably Luxardo
- 3/8 ounce simple syrup
- 1 small piece grapefruit peel, approximately ½ inch x 2 inches
Garnish: lime wheel
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with ice for 15 to 20 seconds. (If it's Kold Draft or other 1x1 cubes, add a handful of pellet ice.)
- Strain into a cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a very thin lime wheel.