Tying for first place in our recent blind Sazerac tasting, Frizell’s straight-shooting recipe calls on a base of Old Overholt rye, complemented with both Peychaud’s and Angostura bitters and a touch of simple syrup. For the absinthe rinse, Frizell uses an atomizer to enhance the ingredient’s aromatics.
- 2 ounces rye, preferably Old Overholt
- scant 1/4 ounce simple syrup
- 2 dashes Peychaud's bitters
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
- absinthe, preferably Pernod (to rinse)
Garnish: expressed lemon peel
- Using an atomizer, mist a frozen Old-Fashioned glass 4 times with absinthe.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a mixing glass over ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into the prepared glass.
- Garnish with an expressed lemon peel.