A clarified take on the Jungle Bird that uses both clarified lime and pineapple juices for a silky, stirred spin on the classic. As Jack Schramm notes, “Remember that clarification is an opportunity—push it to the outer limits and create something new.”
- 1 ounce blackstrap rum, preferably Cruzan
- 3/4 ounce Clarified Lime Juice (see Editor’s Note)
- 1/2 ounce Clarified Pineapple Juice (see Editor’s Note)
- 1/2 ounce Pineapple Syrup (see Editor’s Note)
- 1/2 ounce Campari
- 1/4 ounce overproof Jamaican rum, preferably Smith and Cross
- 1/4 ounce Nicaraguan rum, preferably Flor De Cana 7 Year
- 3 drops 20% Saline Solution (see Editor’s Note)
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass over ice.
- Stir to integrate.
- Strain into a chilled coupe.
Clarified Lime or Pineapple Juice
Start with 1000 mL room temperature lime or pineapple juice. Add 4 mL Pectinex Ultra SP-L and 4 mL Kieselsol and wait 15 minutes. Add 4 mL Chitosan and wait 15 minutes. Add 4 mL Kieselsol and wait 15 minutes. At this point it should be clearly visible that the juice has "broken." There will be a layer of clear juice suspended between two thicker cloudy layers. Spin in a Spinzall or lab centrifuge set to 4500 RPM for 15 minutes, or wait at least an additional hour and strain through a paper filter. Note: Kieselsol and Chitosan will not work without Pectinase, but you can get 80 percent of the results with just Pectinase.
500 grams pineapple juice
360 grams sugar
2 grams citric acid
Add all ingredients to a container and stir to dissolve.
80 grams water
20 grams kosher salt
Add to a container and stir to dissolve. Store in a dropper bottle indefinitely.