This sangria-like suppressor from Atlanta’s Chris Molnar starts with a rich foundation of madeira and moscatel, cut by the bitterness of the gentiane-infused French aperitif liqueur, Salers. A topping of sparkling wine transforms this into something of a throwback spritz.
- 1 ounce madeira, preferably Rare Wine Co. Charleston Sercial Madeira
- 1/2 ounce Salers Gentiane Liqueur
- 1/2 ounce moscatel sherry, preferably Portal
- 2 ounces sparkling wine
Garnish: lemon peel
- Stir first three ingredients and strain into a sherry tulip.
- Top with sparkling wine.
- Express and discard lemon peel over the top of the drink.