Karri Kiyuna’s version of a Bamboo, the Ta-Da showcases the marriage of palo cortado sherry and Bacardi Banana. “I like to do stuff like that—throw something slightly weird in,” she says. She started out with the desire to infuse a drink with the flavor of banana, expecting to land on something super rich and full-bodied like a White Russian. While tinkering, she replaced heavy cream with nutty, creamy palo cortado and ended up stumbling into the structure of a Bamboo. The end result is a playful, not-so-far-fetched twist on an old classic.
- 1 1/2 ounces palo cortado sherry, preferably Lustau
- 1 ounce blanc vermouth, preferably Dolin
- 1/2 ounce banana rum, preferably Bacardi
Garnish: expressed lemon peel
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass over ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a chilled Nick and Nora glass.
- Express the lemon peel and discard.