This was one of the signature drinks of Jim Meehan’s ambitious but short-lived Frank Lloyd Wright-inspired Chicago bar. A take on the brandy Old-Fashioned, it leans on superior Sacred Bond, a 100-proof spirit from Kentucky’s Heaven Hill distillery. He muddles and then fine-strains out the orange and cherry “garbage,” creating a silky and deceptively simple drink that bridges the “old” and “new” styles.
- 2 ounces Christian Brothers Sacred Bond brandy
- 1/4 ounce simple syrup (1:1, sugar:water)
- 3 dashes Angostura bitters
- 1 half orange wheel, thinly sliced
- 1 cherry
Garnish: orange peel and cherry
- In a mixing glass, muddle the orange wheel and cherry with the Angostura bitters and simple syrup.
- Add the brandy and ice, and stir until chilled.
- Fine strain into a chilled rocks glass over one large ice cube.
- Garnish with a triangle orange peel and a cherry on a pick.