In his take on the mule, Aaron Polsky doubles down on grapefruit with the addition of Pamplemousse and grapefruit bitters, all balanced with a a measure of Aperol and ginger syrup.
- 1 1/2 ounces blanco tequila
- 1/2 ounce ginger syrup (see Editor's Note)
- 1/2 ounce grapefruit liqueur, preferably Giffard Pamplemousse Liqueur
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
- 1/3 ounce Aperol
- 1 dash grapefruit bitters, preferably Bittermens Hopped Grapefruit Bitters
- soda water, to top
Garnish: grapefruit peel
- Combine all ingredients, except the soda water, in a mixing tin and shake with ice
- Strain into a Collins glass over ice.
- Top with soda water and garnish with a grapefruit peel.
1 cup freshly juiced ginger
1 1/2 cups sugar
Combine both ingredients in a blender and blend until sugar is dissolved.