This is a no-muddle Mojito. After witnessing how the drink was made in Cuba–lined up on the bar in multiples, with the mint allowed to steep in rum to extract the flavor and aroma of the fresh herb–Thad Vogler developed this effortless variation for the now-closed Obispo.
- 1 barspoon raw sugar
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
- 6-12 mint leaves, depending on the size of the leaves
- 2 ounces dry white rum, preferably Royal Standard or El Dorado 3 Year
- 3 dashes aromatic bitters
- Soda water, to top
- Combine all ingredients, except bitters and soda water, in a Collins glass.
- Allow to sit for at least 5 minutes, or up to an hour. (Not longer, or the rum “cooks” the mint).
- When ready to serve, add bitters and ice to fill the glass.
- Top with soda water.