This mezcal Negroni variation was created for a 2010 event celebrating the 150th anniversary of Campari. “I was starting to play with sherry,” Marrero recalls. “I wanted to use all Latin American ingredients,” she notes, except for the required Campari. The drink can also work with blanco tequila in lieu of mezcal.
- 1 1/2 ounces Campari
- 1 ounce cream sherry, preferably Hidalgo Alameda sherry
- 3/4 ounce espadín mezcal, preferably Los Danzantes Espadín
Garnish: grapefruit twist
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass with ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a chilled coupe glass.
- Twist the grapefruit peel over top of the drink to express essential oils, then use the peel to garnish the drink.