Falernum, a rum-based liqueur best known for its supporting role in tiki cocktails, can also work magic in stirred applications like this one, where it complements the botanicals found in Old Tom gin.
Danny Shapiro, Scofflaw Chicago
- 1 ounce Old Tom gin, preferably Scofflaw
- 1 ounce apple brandy, preferably Laird's Bonded
- 1/2 ounce Salers
- 1/4 ounce falernum, preferably Lucky Falernum
Garnish: expressed lemon peel
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass and stir with ice.
- Strain the drink into a cocktail glass.
- Express oil from a lemon peel and discard.