Sam Johnson’s The Fixer, a play on the Boulevardier, likewise leans on rye, but adds a duo of herbal players—aquavit and Amaro Braulio—to complement the addition of warm-spiced barolo chinato in place of sweet vermouth.
Sam Johnson, Clover Club | Brooklyn, NY
- 1 1/2 ounce rye, preferably Russel’s Reserve Single Barrel
- 1/2 ounce aquavit, preferably Linie
- 3/4 ounce Cocchi Barolo Chinato
- 1/2 ounce amaro, preferably Braulio
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass over ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a rocks glass over a large ice cube.
- Serve with a side of candied pecans.