“While working on the drink, I couldn’t help but think of the Grasshopper,” says Kinsey. “At that point, it was tweaking spirit ratios to still keep the cocktail a Brandy Alexander, but with just the right amount of mint flavor in there for an added snap.” Kinsey thinks the shaken version of his drink has a “refined, shirt-and-tie holiday party feel to it,” but isn’t against letting loose and tossing it in a blender with ice or even a scoop of ice cream, to fully lean into the milkshake possibilities of this cocktail. “It’s been a long year,” he says, “and it’s the holiday season, so treat yourself.”
- 1 1/2 ounces VSOP brandy, preferably St-Rémy
- 1/2 ounce mint liqueur, preferably Giffard Menthe-Pastille
- 1/2 ounce Crème de Cacao, preferably Giffard
- 3/4 ounce oat milk, preferably Oatly Full Fat Oatmilk
- 1/4 ounce Coco Lopez coconut cream
- 1/2 ounce aquafaba
- 2 to 3 dashes Angostura Cocoa Bitters
Garnish: shaved chocolate
- Combine all the ingredients in a cocktail shaker and dry shake without ice to incorporate the ingredients.
- Add ice and continue shaking until chilled.
- Fine-strain into a chilled coupe.
- Garnish with shavings from an Abuelita hot chocolate disc