At Ramona, in Greenpoint, Brooklyn, Scott Schneider shakes together gin, lime juice and savory homemade bay leaf syrup with fresh basil. Topped with soda water and pomegranate juice, it makes for a refreshing, fall-ready cocktail.
The Handsome Grandson
Scott Schneider, Ramona | Brooklyn, NY
- 2 ounces gin
- 3/4 ounce bay leaf syrup (see Editor's Note)
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
- 5 to 7 fresh basil leaves
- soda water
- pomegranate juice
Garnish: bay leaf
- Combine all ingredients, except the soda water and pomegranate juice, in a mixing tin and shake with ice.
- Strain into a Hurricane or Zombie glass.
- Pack the glass with crushed or pebble ice.
- Top with a splash each of soda water, then pomegranate juice.
- Garnish with a bay leaf.
Bay Leaf Syrup
3/4 ounces dried bay leaves
1 cup demerara sugar
Steep the dried bay leaves in 1 cup of boiling water for 10 minutes. Strain the mixture to remove bay leaves and add in the sugar. Stir to dissolve, and bottle.