An homage to Martin “Mahatma” Lomasney, who was allegedly the recipient of the first Ward Eight cocktail in 1898, this riff modernizes the drink with hibiscus-infused grenadine and a spritz of orange oil.
- 2 ounces bourbon, preferably Bulleit bourbon
- 3/4 ounce hibiscus grenadine (See Editor's Note)
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
- 2 dashes Peychaud's bitters
- 1 orange peel
Garnish: dried roses and sprig of thyme
- Pour the liquids into shaker with ice and shake hard for 10 seconds.
- Express orange oil from an orange peel over a chilled coupe glass and discard.
- Double strain into the coupe.
Hibiscus Grenadine:1tbsp sugar
2 ounces organic hibiscus liqueur, preferably Fruitelab
3 ounces pomegranate molasses
4 ounces honey
5 ounces hot water
Combine all ingredients with hot water and stir to dissolve. Bottle, let cool and store refrigerated for up to three weeks.