This toddy is named after Maria Dahvana Headley’s modern-day retelling of Beowulf. Both of Chantal Tseng’s preferred aquavits are aged in sherry casks; combined with Madeira, a bracing alpine amaro, St. Elizabeth allspice dram and a hot chai base, the resulting toddy is complex and spice-driven, with notes of sweet, stewed fruit and bitter herbs. For extra kick and medicinal benefits, Tseng likes to add “a hefty dose of freshly cut ginger, skins and all, to my tea, especially during the winter months.”
The Mere Wife
Chantal Tseng | Washington, D.C.
- 3/4 ounce aquavit, preferably Hovding or Linie
- 3/4 ounce Madeira, preferably Saveiro Vento do Oeste Madeira
- 1/4 ounce Braulio
- 2 dashes allspice dram, preferably St. Elizabeth
- 4 ounces hot chai tea such as Adagio's Masala Chai or Raja Oolong Chai
- Fresh ginger peel, finely grated
Garnish: orange peel studded with cloves
- In a mug or other toddy vessel, combine all ingredients.
- Express orange oil into mug and add peel as garnish.