A cocktail made with four and half ounces of booze—plus a couple of dashes of absinthe—certainly does deserve to be named for the mythic being that gave humans fire. For this drink, Martin Cate reimagines the Zombie to include three different types of gin, absinthe, citrus juices and falernum.
- 1 1/2 ounces Navy strength gin, preferably Royal Dock
- 1 1/2 ounces genever, preferably Diep 9 Oude
- 1 ounce sloe gin, preferably Plymouth
- 1/2 ounce falernum, preferably Velvet Falernum
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup
- 3/4 ounce grapefruit juice
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
- 2 dashes absinthe
- 1 dash cinnamon bitters (see Editor's Note)
Garnish: mint sprig
- Add all ingredients to shaker tin with ice and shake.
- Transfer the contents of the shaker tin to a tall Zombie glass.
- Top with crushed ice and garnish with a mint sprig.
2 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
6 ounces Angostura bitters
Let ingredients sit in a clean container at room temperature for three to six days. Remove cinnamon sticks once desired flavor is reached. Store the bitters at room temperature for up to three months.