While head bartender David Roth has experimented with both coffee Ango and vanilla Ango for cocktail competitions, the coffee-spiked bitters offer a “fresh and vibrant” aroma that particularly appeals in this nuanced rum Old-Fashioned variation.
David Roth, Covina | New York
- 2 1/2 ounces rum, preferably Santa Teresa 1796 Solera
- 1/2 ounce demerara syrup (1:1 demerara sugar:water)
- 3 dashes coffee-infused Angostura bitters (see Editor’s Note)
Garnish: lemon peel
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass over ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a rocks glass over a large ice cube.
- Express the lemon peel and use as garnish.
Coffee-Infused Angustura Bitters:
Steep 5 ounces of fresh-ground coffee beans with 10 ounces Angostura bitters for three days. Strain and decant back into Angostura bottle or dasher bottle.