Like the Negroni, the Montauk traditionally employs a formula of equal measures, in this case of gin, sweet vermouth and dry vermouth. In his rejiggering, bar director Leo Robitschek eliminates the dry vermouth altogether, replacing it with a blend of sweet vermouth, blanc vermouth and Punt e Mes to add structure, bitterness and balance.
- 6 dashes Peychaud's bitters
- 1/4 ounce Punt e Mes
- 3/4 ounce sweet vermouth, preferably Carpano Antica
- 3/4 ounce blanc vermouth, preferably Dolin
- 1 ounce navy strength gin, preferably Hayman's Royal Dock
Garnish: lemon twist
- Combine all ingredients together in a mixing glass over ice and stir together.
- Strain into a double rocks glass over ice.
- Garnish with a lemon twist.