A resinous riff on the Gin Sour, The Overlook’s dominant herbal note comes courtesy of Douglas Fir Eau de Vie from Portland’s Clear Creek Distillery. The name conjures a horizon filled with conifers while the mild heat of cinnamon mingles pleasantly with juniper to further enhance the feeling of standing at the tree line in high altitudes.
- 2 ounces gin
- 1/2 ounce Clear Creek Douglas Fir Eau de Vie
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
- 1/2 ounce cinnamon simple syrup (see Editor's Note)
Garnish: grated cinnamon
- Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker.
- Add ice and shake until chilled.
- Strain into a chilled coupe or cocktail glass.
- Garnish with grated cinnamon.
To make cinnamon simple syrup, toast two cinnamon sticks for five minutes in an un-oiled pot over medium heat. Add one cup 1:1 simple syrup and simmer for approximately ten minutes. Strain, cool and bottle. Refrigerate until ready to use.