A resinous riff on the Gin Sour, The Overlook’s dominant herbal note comes courtesy of Douglas Fir Eau de Vie from Portland’s Clear Creek Distillery. The name conjures a horizon filled with conifers while the mild heat of cinnamon mingles pleasantly with juniper to further enhance the feeling of standing at the tree line in high altitudes.
Austin Mendez, Messhall Kitchen | Los Angeles
- 2 ounces gin
- 1/2 ounce Clear Creek Douglas Fir Eau de Vie
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
- 1/2 ounce cinnamon simple syrup (see Editor's Note)
Garnish: grated cinnamon
- Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker.
- Add ice and shake until chilled.
- Strain into a chilled coupe or cocktail glass.
- Garnish with grated cinnamon.
To make cinnamon simple syrup, toast two cinnamon sticks for five minutes in an un-oiled pot over medium heat. Add one cup 1:1 simple syrup and simmer for approximately ten minutes. Strain, cool and bottle. Refrigerate until ready to use.