While the Singapore Sling is perhaps the best-known gin cocktail in the tiki genre, “the Saturn deserves the mantle of the perfect gin tiki cocktail,” says Garret Richard, who put the drink on the menu for the Exotica night he hosts monthly at New York’s Slowly Shirley. The original drink, which was discovered by Jeff “Beachbum” Berry, is credited to California bartender J. “Popo” Galsini, who won the International Bartender’s Association World Championship in 1967 with the cocktail.
Garret Richard | New York City
- 1 1/2 ounces gin, preferably Jensen's
- 1/2 ounce lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce orgeat, preferably Latitude 29
- 1/4 ounce passion fruit purée
- 1/4 ounce Velvet Falernum
- 8 ounces crushed ice
Garnish: a lime twist wrapped around a cherry, secured with toothpick.
- Combine all ingredients in a blender with eight ounces of crushed ice.
- Flash blend and pour into a rocks glass filled with ice.
- Garnish with a lime twist wrapped around a cherry, secured with toothpick.