“Hemingway was obviously my inspiration,” says Orestes Cruz of his Papa Doble variation. “I love Hemingway, and I love Cuba…so I wanted to make an homage to this culture.” His rendition changes little from the rum-grapefruit-maraschino combination of the original, he simply adds a half-ounce of Amaro Sfumato for a smokier variation that feels as timeless as the Cuban classic.
- 2 ounces white rum
- 1/2 ounce grapefruit juice
- 1/2 ounce lime juice
- 1/2 ounce amaro, preferably Cappelletti Sfumato Rabarbaro Amaro
- 1/4 ounce maraschino liqueur
- 1/4 ounce simple syrup
Garnish: lime wheel
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with ice.
- Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a lime wheel.