This recipe appears in the book Minimalist Tiki, by Matt Pietrek and Carrie Smith. One of the first drinks workshopped for the tiki bar before it opened in January 2019, Parks accents this tropical drink with a dash of housemade vanilla Angostura, which helps “connect all those flavors and make them one new flavor.”
Daniel “Doc” Parks, Zombie Village | San Francisco, CA
- 1 ounce lightly aged or filtered rum, preferably Real McCoy 3
- 1 ounce unaged agricole rum, preferably Rhum J.M Blanc
- 1 ounce pisco, preferably Capurro
- 1 ounce pineapple juice
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
- 1/2 ounce mango syrup (see Editor’s Note)
- 1/4 ounce falernum, preferably John D Taylor’s Velvet Falernum
- 1 dash vanilla-Infused Angostura bitters (see Editor’s Note)
Garnish: pineapple fronds, orchid, paper umbrella
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and flash blend or shake with crushed ice.
- Pour into a squall or hurricane glass, then top with crushed ice.
- Garnish with pineapple fronds, orchid and a paper umbrella.
Combine equal parts unsweetened mango puree with simple syrup (1.5:1 ratio sugar to water). Park prefers unsweetened puree “so it has green, vegetal notes as well as mango richness.”
Vanilla-Infused Angostura Bitters:
Slice a wet vanilla bean down the middle, remove the seeds, and let soak in a bottle of Angostura for 4-5 days. Strain off when desired concentration is reached.