One expects standard-bearer craft cocktail bars like The Varnish to get the classics right. And, indeed, they nailed this one like nobody’s business, creating a cocktail that is as smooth as glass.
The Varnish’s Tuxedo No. 2
Eric Alperin, The Varnish | Los Angeles
- 2 ounces Beefeater gin
- 3/4 ounce Dolin dry vermouth
- 1/4 ounce Maraska Maraschino Cherry Liqueur
- 2 dashes orange bitters
- Pernod absinthe, for rinse
Garnish: lemon twist and cherry
- Add all ingredients to a mixing glass, add ice and stir until chilled.
- Rinse a chilled coupe or cocktail glass with absinthe and discard excess.
- Strain remaining liquid ingredients into the glass.
- Garnish with lemon twist and cherry, fixed together with a toothpick.