Reducing some–but not all–of the pomegranate juice helps retain its natural acidity, resulting in a vibrant, lively grenadine that contributes tartness as well as sweetness to a cocktail, with orange peel further brightening its fresh fruit flavor.
Yield: 2 quarts
- 6 cups pomegranate juice, divided into 4 cups and 2 cups
- 4 cups white sugar
- pinch of salt
- peel of one orange
- Heat 4 cups of pomegranate juice in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce and simmer until the volume is reduced by half.
- Add the remaining 2 cups of fresh pomegranate juice and the sugar and continue to simmer, stirring, until sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from heat and add salt and orange peels, expressing peels into the liquid before adding.
- Cool completely and remove peels before using.
- Stored in the refrigerator, this grenadine will keep at least two weeks.