At the Los Angeles outpost of the highly celebrated Miami bar, Broken Shaker, Elad Zvi maintains the tropical escapism of the original location with drinks like There Is No Eastside, a refreshing blend of gin, sherry, mint cordial and cucumber juice served over crushed ice.
- 1 1/2 ounces gin, preferably Bombay Sapphire East
- 1/2 ounce manzanilla sherry
- 1/2 ounce anisette, preferably Meletti
- 3/4 ounce mint cordial (see Editor's Note)
- 1/2 ounce cucumber juice
- 1/2 barspoon zhoug (see Editor's Note)
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
Garnish: shisho leaf, cucumber wheels
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and whip shake.
- Double strain into a wine or cocktail glass over crushed ice.
- Garnish with a shiso leaf and two cucumber wheels.
1/4 pound mint
2 quarts water
3 quarts sugar
Blanch the mint for five seconds in boiling water. Remove the mint and submerge it in an ice bath and set aside. Bring the 2 quarts of water to a boil and add the sugar. Once dissolved, combine the mint with the sugar and water in a blender and strain through a chinois.
40 grams parsley
40 grams cilantro
8 serrano peppers
10 grams ground coriander
10 grams ground cardamom
1 cup grapeseed oil
salt, to taste
lemon juice, to taste
Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.