In a literal interpretation of Don the Beachcomber’s dictum “What one rum can’t do, three rums can,” Sam Miller’s Three Mile Island, a smoked rum Old-Fashioned variation, blends three Barbados rums as the base. “What I love about this is we’re not actually using any wood to smoke the cocktail,” explains Miller, who opts instead to char dried orange peels, drawing out citrusy notes in the rum base.
- 2 1/4 ounces Barbados rum blend (see Editor's Note)
- 1/2 ounce spiced blackstrap molasses syrup (see Editor's Note)
- 2 dashes tiki bitters
Garnish: flamed orange twist
- Prepare Old-Fashioned glass by charring a dime-sized piece of dark chocolate and 1/2 dollar-sized dried orange peel and capturing the smoke in the glass.
- Separately, combine all ingredients in a mixing glass and stir with ice.
- Strain into the prepared Old-Fashioned glass over a large ice cube.
- Garnish with a flamed orange peel.
Barbados Rum Blend
2 parts Real McCoy 12 Year
2 parts Real McCoy 5 Year
1 part Real McCoy 3 Year
Combine all ingredients in a container and stir until integrated.
Spiced Blackstrap Molasses Syrup
300 grams blackstrap molasses
100 grams demerara sugar
25 grams cinnamon
10 grams star anise
10 grams clove
10 grams cardamom
10 grams coriander
Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 15 minutes. Double strain and store in a sealable container.