At Pacific Cocktail Haven in San Francisco, tropical cocktails reign. The bourbon-based Thrilla in Manila is no exception, and the drink—flavored with calamansi, pineapple, shiso and coconut—is the most popular original recipe at the bar.
- 1 1/2 ounces bourbon, preferably Evan Williams Black
- 1 ounce calamansi juice
- 1 ounce pineapple juice
- 1 ounce housemade coconut cream (see Editor’s Note) or Coco Lopez
- 1/4 ounce absinthe
- 3 shiso leaves (to shake with)
Garnish: powdered li hing mui, shiso leaf
- Add all ingredients to a shaker and shake with ice.
- Fine-strain into a rocks glass filled with cobbled ice.
- Garnish with powdered li hing mui and a shiso leaf.
Housemade Coconut Cream
Use a blender to combine 2 cups Coco Lopez, 1 cup coconut milk, 1/2 cup heavy cream and 1 teaspoon salt. Blend until the mixture reaches the desired consistency.