James Bolt, owner of Charleston’s The Gin Joint, crafts a straightforward but flavor-packed apple cider syrup, offering support to the the Leopold Bros. New York apple whiskey in this liberties-taking Appletini update. The additions of Pineau des Charentes, oloroso sherry and cardamom bitters build depth and dry out the end result.
- 1 1/2 ounces Leopold Bros. New York Apple Whiskey
- 1 ounce apple cider syrup (see Editor’s Note)
- 1/2 ounce Pineau des Charentes
- 3/4 ounce oloroso sherry
- 2 dashes Scrappy’s cardamom bitters
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass over ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a chilled coupe.
Apple Cider Syrup:
Combine one 12-ounce bottle hard apple cider, 4 ounces sugar and half a teaspoon of salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook until sugar is dissolved and alcohol has burned off, 10 to 15 minutes.