A mildly tweaked update on the Grand Royal Fizz, a lesser-known gin fizz variation included in The Savoy Cocktail Book, Jillian Moore’s Thunderbird strikes an appealing balance between citrus-first refresher and creamy dessert drink. Inspired by the Creamsicle-style orange-vanilla twist served at Kohr Brothers, a frozen custard shop that originates at the Jersey Shore, the drink is named in honor of the late Thunderbird Inn, a legendary doo-wop era motel and cocktail bar that operated in the beach town of Wildwood until its demolition in 2005.
Jillian Moore, Zahav | Philadelphia, PA
- 2 ounces gin, preferably Bluecoat
- 1/2 ounce Luxardo Maraschino liqueur
- 1 ounce fresh squeezed orange juice
- 3/4 ounce lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce cream
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered sugar
- Club soda
Garnish: orange wheel
- Combine all ingredients, except club soda, in a mixing tin and shake with ice.
- Strain into a Collins glass over ice.
- Top with club soda.
- Garnish with orange wheel.