Fresh-squeezed orange juice and vigorous shaking for maximum froth are the keys to acing this classic equal-parts drink. Creator TJ Vytlacil admonishes: “You should definitely break a sweat making a Blood & Sand. If you’re not sweating, you’re not doing it right.”
TJ Vytlacil’s Blood & Sand
TJ Vytlacil | St. Louis
- 1 ounce Scotch, preferably Famous Grouse
- 1 ounce fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 1 ounce Cherry Heering
- 1 ounce sweet vermouth, preferably Dolin Vermouth de Chambéry Rouge
Garnish: flamed orange coin
- Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice and vigorously shake.
- Strain into a coupe glass.
- Garnish with a flamed orange coin.