Starchy Carolina Gold rice gets infused into both spirit and sweetener in this toasted take on the Daiquiri from Kingfisher in Durham, North Carolina. Not only do the grains impart a nutty flavor to the drink, but they also help the cocktail “hold incredible froth,” according to Kingfisher’s Sean Umstead.
Toasted Rice Daiquiri
Zig Payton | Durham, North Carolina
- 2 ounces rice-infused rum (see Editor's Note)
- 3/4 ounce rice syrup (see Editor's Note)
- 1/2 ounce fresh lime juice
- 1/4 ounce nigori sake
- 1 barspoon Krupnikas Liqueur
- Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker and shake very hard with ice.
- Strain into a coupe glass.
250 grams toasted Carolina Gold rice
1 bottle rum, preferably Don Q Cristal
1. Place ingredients in a sous-vide bag, then immerse in a water bath at 140°F for 2 hours.
2. Strain and funnel into the rum bottle.
62 grams Carolina Gold rice
32 ounces simple syrup (1:1, sugar to water)
1. Toast rice in a dry sauté pan until it’s lightly browned and the smell is fragrant and nutty.
2. Bring simple syrup to a boil and add the toasted rice.