Michael Aredes’ Toki Berra draws inspiration from the Japanese Calpico soda in its combination of creamy coconut-matcha yogurt, yuzu, soda water and Japanese whisky. As Aredes summarizes, it’s “a drink that will make you question it on paper, then bring you to a happy place of refreshment and delight.”
- 4 ounces club soda
- 1 1/4 ounces Japanese whisky, preferably Suntory Toki Whisky
- 3/4 ounce yuzu juice
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup
- 1 heaping tablespoon coco-matcha yogurt (see Editor’s Note)
Garnish: edible flowers
- Fill a zombie highball glass with Kold-Draft ice cubes. Top with soda.
- Add the remaining ingredients to a mixing tin, and dry-shake to combine.
- Using a bar spoon, pour the mixture in the tin into the club soda. Give a light stir.
- Garnish with edible flowers.
4 cups coconut-based vanilla yogurt, preferably So Delicious
14 grams matcha powder
Add ingredients to a small Cambro or other resealable container. Use an immersion blender to mix them thoroughly, until no clumps of matcha are visible. Keeps, refrigerated, for 2 days.