Taking second place in our recent tasting, Tom Macy’s Last Word is a bigger drink than the original—each component amped up by a quarter-ounce. His gin of choice was Tanqueray 10. But the twist that perhaps nudged his mix to the front of the pack was the Jack-Rose-like trick of a splitting the citrus element between lime and lemon juice.
- 1 ounce gin, preferably Tanqueray No. Ten
- 1 ounce maraschino liqueur, preferably Luxardo
- 1 ounce green Chartreuse
- 1/2 ounce lime juice
- 1/2 ounce lemon juice
Garnish: expressed lemon peel
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with ice for about 12 seconds.
- Strain into a chilled coupe or cocktail glass.
- Express a lemon peel and discard.