Macy’s recipe, which took top place in our recent blind-tasting, calls on a base of Wild Turkey Rye 101, a teaspoon of rich demerara syrup and three “healthy dashes” of a blend of three types of bitters. The judges found the drink had a pleasing layering of flavors and was a good illustration of how a well-chosen whiskey can set an Old-Fashioned apart.
- 2 ounces rye, preferably Wild Turkey 101
- 1 teaspoon rich demerara syrup (2:1, demerara:water)
- 3 dashes Dad's Bitters (see Editor's Note)
Garnish: orange and lemon peels
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass over ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a rocks glass over a large ice cube.
- Garnish with orange and lemon peels.
Dad's Bitters Blend:
1 1/2 ounces Angostura bitters
1 ounce Bitter Truth Orange Bitters
1 teaspoon Bitter Truth Jerry Thomas Decanter Bitters
Combine all ingredients in a dasher bottle before use.