With a split base of Hochstadter’s Vatted Rye and Louis Royer Force 53 Cognac, Macy’s Sazerac recipe was the only one featuring Cognac to take a top spot in our recent blind tasting. Otherwise the drink is fairly standard in its formula, which calls on rich demerara syrup as the sweetener, Peychaud’s and Angostura bitters and a rinse of Pernod absinthe.
- 1 1/2 ounces rye, preferably Hochstadter's Vatted Rye
- 1/2 ounce Cognac, preferably Louis Royer Force 53°
- 1 teaspoon rich demerara syrup (2:1, demerara sugar: water)
- 4 dashes Peychaud's bitters
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
- 1/4 ounce absinthe, preferably Pernod (to rinse)
Garnish: expressed lemon peel
- Rinse a chilled glass with absinthe and set aside.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a mixing glass over ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into the prepared glass.
- Garnish with an expressed lemon peel held 4 to 6 inches over the surface of the drink.