The Trident is a nautically-inspired interpretation of the Negroni, created in 2000 by Robert Hess, a cocktail enthusiast from Seattle. In his endeavor to reinterpret the classic, Hess reappointed the Negroni’s trifecta of ingredients—strong, bitter, sweet—with distant cousins of the same flavor profile, each hailing from a seafaring country. Gin is swapped for aquavit, Campari for Cynar, and sweet vermouth for sherry, with a dash of peach bitters on top. The Trident has become a Seattle staple, enjoying an extended reign at the Zig Zag Café, one of the city’s best-known cocktail joints.
- 1 ounce aquavit (preferably Linie)
- 1 ounce Cynar
- 1 ounce fino sherry (preferably La Ina)
- 2 dashes peach bitters
Garnish: lemon peel
- Add all ingredients to a mixing glass.
- Add ice and stir well.
- Strain into a chilled coupe or cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a lemon peel.