There are several versions of the Turf Cocktail (sometimes called the Turf Club), each a slightly different variation on the Martini. The earliest of these recipes can be traced to George Winter’s How to Mix Drinks from 1884, and is a relatively simple mix of Old Tom gin, sweet vermouth and bitters. Harry Johnson’s version, from 1900, calls instead for a mix of gin, maraschino, bitters and absinthe, which we’ve updated here for the modern palate.
- 1 1/2 ounces gin
- 1 1/2 ounces dry vermouth
- 1 barspoon maraschino liqueur
- 3 dashes orange bitters
- absinthe, to rinse the glass
Garnish: lemon peel
- Add all ingredients, except for absinthe, to a mixing glass.
- Add ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a chilled Nick & Nora glass rinsed with absinthe.
- Garnish with a lemon peel.