Flora Bar’s version of the classic Tuxedo No. 2 uses a heavy two and one-quarter ounces of Plymouth gin, plus sparing amounts of Dolin blanc vermouth and maraschino, along with an absinthe rinse and four dashes of orange bitters. It was one of Robert Simonson’s top cocktails of 2017.
Tuxedo No. 2
Michael Klein | New York
- 2 1/4 ounces gin, preferably Plymouth
- 1/2 ounce blanc vermouth, preferably Dolin
- 1/4 ounce maraschino liqueur
- 4 dashes orange bitters
- absinthe, to rinse
Garnish: orange twist, cherry
- Rinse a cocktail glass with absinthe and discard the excess.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a mixing glass over ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a chilled coupe or cocktail glass.
- Garnish with an orange twist and a cherry.